Sidestepping Into Tabris

There are a number of instances where I need to do some processing on my markdown to massage it into the myriad ecosystem and I want to have a mobile solution for the toolkit that is springing up around my own personal use cases. 

Because I really wanna stick to a unified code base in all things, and also because I've been interested in Javascript Mobile Development for a while but have never tried it, so i'm gonna dip my toes into Tabris and see if it might work as a viable myriad mobile gateway. 


Adventure Log:


install tabris on my dev phone by searching for "tabris.js" in the Play Store (the link on the tutorial was broken for me). The tutorial specified that the most recent version is always gonna be "tabris.js", there's a Tabris 2 or something that comes up but its only for legacy support.


Next, I tried the playground in the tutorial link, but it wouldn't load, assuming server traffic issues or something, no worries I'm still geeked and going so I'm going with the local dev route.


Installed tabris globally from the terminal on my chromebook with "sudo npm install -g tabris-cli"


Created a new project name using the naming-cup utility I wrote over at pandaemonium.studio, and created a folder for the soon to be minted "calm-dagger" 


Had to do some digging to get it to work BUT IT WORKS 😁 

How I got there:

Opening the developer app on mobile, then scanning the QR code gave me a message that read "Could not establish connection" and "Could not open file: http://(ipaddress):8080/package.json", found that I had to change the IP address to the one on my Chromebook (Settings -> WiFi -> [YOUR Network NAME] -> IP Address), cuz the app was running in terminal, also had to open up port 8080 for TCP (Settings -> Advanced -> Linux Dev Environment -> Port Forwarding).

Comments

Popular Posts