Why I Love TDD

 I'm a scatterbrained fool most days of the week, okay I have my lucid moments but I tend to ACTUALLY ENJOY running full bore headlong into whatever random bits of chaos happen to tickle my fancy at any given moment so my cowboy coding software dev style tends to carry that same enflamed enthusiasm that I have come to regard as the hallmark of all "worthy projects".

For this reason, I absolutely love using unit tests to keep my randomness in check. I had totally forgotten to update the logic in the copied over code from the original Wxrd implementation, which, as I began writing the code today (see changeset Add logic to parse lines in front matter) started to turn into lots of red for me. I stopped working on it and chose to commit the code at this point.

Yes, it's a broken build, but I think it will serve to illustrate the steps to correct such situations as we step through the process of correcting what it wrong, we can also shed some light on what I feel now were bad design decisions earlier, and these tests will shed light on why. 

That's it for my pomodoro session today, but check back in the next few days to see how the code moves from its current broken state into a working, resilient model for our going forward...


Thanks for watching, signing off -B 

Comments

Popular Posts